Oops! We still have one more soup recipe submitted by Amy from Tranquility’s front desk staff. Stay tuned for next month’s heart healthy staff dessert recipes!
- corn tortillas crumbled or in strips
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat and diced
- 3 cups bell pepper and onion mix, (about 10 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably with green chiles
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon. Add pepper-onion mix and cumin to the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes, pepper and lime juice; bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes more. Return the chicken and any accumulated juice to the pot and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in cilantro. Serve topped with the toasted tortilla strips and cheese.