Ok now these look amazing. And I do love mushrooms. Many of our clients and patients have been asking why we keep posting paleo recipes…. and here is the answer in a nutshell…. refined carbs (such as the breadcrumbs you would normally put in stuffed mushrooms as a binder) break down quickly in the body as sugar. Excessive amounts of sugar is bad. Converting some of your favorite recipes into Paleo is a great way to naturally lower sugar intake. This recipe comes to us from Loreta, Tranquility owner and manager. She eats mostly paleo and drinks a green smoothie almost everyday…. and she’s beautiful! Enjoy!
- 1 lb bacon, chopped
- 4 celery stalks
- 1 small onion
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon chives
- 1 package white button or baby bella mushrooms (rinse and separate tops from stems, but do not discard either)
- 1 lb. ground beef or sausage
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- approx. 1/4 cup almond meal
- Cook bacon in medium skillet. While bacon is cooking, place celery, onion, basil. chives, and mushrooms stems in food processor and chop.
- Add food processor mixture to skillet with the bacon and cook until the bacon becomes crispy. Remove from heat and drain everything from the bacon grease. Put everything in a large mixing bowl along with the oregano, cayenne pepper, paprika, sea salt, and garlic.
- Cook up ground beef (or sausage) until no longer pink. Add to bowl with the other ingredients. Add almond meal until the texture is right.
- Stuff mushrooms with the meat mixture.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes