- “Stay hydrated” – We hear this often from our nutritionist, Kelly Brubaker. Drink extra water to keep the digestive system moving, and steer of alcohol at least the day before significant travel. Bring a BPA-free bottle and refill it at the airport. Sip throughout your journey, especially if you’re flying; the air at 30,000-plus feet is dehydrating. Take an herbal tea break.
- Pack healthy – Pack simple snacks for easy access to something healthy when you’re hungry, Small bags of nuts and dried fruit.
- Eat smart – Eat 3 meals a day and two snacks a day instead of grazing nonstop. “Be aware that if you eat smaller portions overall, the fat, calories, sodium, sugar, and potential for digestive upset goes down too.” Once you arrive, include fresh fruits and vegetable in your meals which contain water, fiber, and nutrients. Bring along some ginger chews/candies for nausea, upset stomach, or motion sickness.
- “Get moving” – One of Beverly Millers (Esthetician and owner of Tranquility), favorite quotes! After sitting for hours en route, take a brisk walk around the block for 15 minutes or more. Your breathing will open up your circulation, delivering oxygen to your cells and gut. The gentle twisting of the trunk that occurs with walking also wakes up the digestive tract by giving it an internal massage.
- “Take a deep breath” – We hear this often from Donna Burg, ( Yoga instructor at Tranquility). Meditation or deep-breathing may stave off or alleviate digestive discomfort, The gut is a regional immune system in the body and it’s also sometimes called the ‘second brain’. According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, (ask our acupuncturist, Dr Susan Sterling), emotions are tried to the digestive organs, so worry, anxiety and stress can aggravate it. Even a few minutes of deep breathing in a quiet space is beneficial.
- “Heal your gut” – Words of wisdom from Dr Emily Loveland, everyone’s favorite Chiropractor! Enzymes and Probiotics – Enzymes help break food down into smaller particles so we can assimilate nutrients. They also encourage healthy elimination, as do probiotics, which maintain healthy bacteria in the gut and can alleviate gas, bloating, and constipation. Tranquility sells the highest quality physician grade probiotics and digestive enzymes.
Have a Safe and Healthy Spring Break!
Loreta, Tranquility owner and manager
PS. If you are staying home for Spring Break, come relax at Tranquility with great Stay-Cation specials. The more your relax the more you save! Call 630.762.9864 to schedule your Stay-Cation!