- 1/3 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 6-1/2 cups water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 med. onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb (approx. 4 cups) fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp
- 3 tbsp dry sherry (about 2-2.5 oz)
- 1-1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Simmer (covered) the barley in 1-1/2 cups of the water for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet; saute’ the onion and green pepper on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, mushrooms and salt. Cover and cook 10-12 minutes. Stir in the soy sauce,
- , and Worcestershire sauce.
- Add everything to the barley; add the remaining 5 cups of water. (You can add some pepper, if you like.) Simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes