Bev’s home with round the clock care from friends. I’m heading over today for a quick visit and to drop off food for the week. I was instructed to make soft foods so I decided to make Smoothie packets by freezing greens and a variety of fruits in individual bags. All she needs to do is add some liquid (like water, juice or “milks”) and blend. Easy Peasy!
Next I experimented with soups. Bev eats a PALEO DIET so no grains, flours or sugars. I found 3 recipes online and tweaked them a little. See my version of the recipes below. Hope she likes them!!!
Dr. Emily Loveland 2-2-13
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 medium-sized tart apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 15-oz. cans pureed pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1tablespoon Herbs de Provance (Look Marissa! I’m using the herbs you got me!)
- 1 tsp each salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
Heat butter medium heat in the bottom of a large, heavy-bottomed pot. Add onion, garlic and apples and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until onions and apples begin to soften and pot is very fragrant.
Add the pumpkin puree and broth, stir well and cover pot. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer soup for 22-25 minutes, until apples are very soft.
Add herbs, salt and pepper, then puree using an immersion blender until smooth (alternately, use a blender or food processor to puree the soup, then return it to the pot).
Turn the heat back up to medium and stir in the coconut milk and cook for 2-3 more minutes. The soup should be very smooth and creamy.
Ladle into bowls and serve immediately.
CAULIFLOWER, RED PEPPER & SWEET POTATO SOUP
- 1 head cauliflower
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 sweet onion
- Olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2-3 cups water
- Fresh Taraggon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Cut up cauliflower and peppers. lay them out on a cookie sheet, drizzle with oil, and bake for 20-25 minutes flipping once.
- In a large pot bring broth, water, sweet potato (peeled and cubed), onion and garlic to boil. Cook until sweet potatoes are tender
- Add all ingredients together and blend.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cans peeled tomatoes (I used canned stewed tomatoes)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat and add the onion and garlic
- When the onion becomes translucent add all remaining ingredients and bring to boil
- Reduce heat to low and cook for about 45 minutes
- In batches blend the soup in your food processor until it reaches your desired consistency